Lovina is a beach town on the northern coast of the Island of Bali.
Location and How to Get to Lovina
Lovina is located in the north of Bali. It is 83 km (51 miles) away from Denpasar and 15 km (9 miles) away from Singaraja city. It is possible to arrive at this beach resort area by:
- The tour company Perama has shuttle busses to Lovina from many of the main tourist areas on the island.
- The cheapest way to travel to Lovina is by bemo and these run along all the main routes in Bali. This open air minibus is not the most comfortable way of travelling long distance, but it is a great way to mix with the locals.
- Taxis in Bali are relatively cheap and some people will choose this option for travelling to Lovina. It costs about $50 (as of mid 2012) to get a taxi from Denpasar International Airport – it is important that those choosing this option buy a coupon at the airport to pay for the journey.
- It is possible to hire a car and a driver.
How to Get Around Lovina
Lovina beach is approximately 10 km (6.2 miles) long. This resort area actually covers seven different village areas along the coast – these have collectively been referred to as Lovina only in recent decades as a means to promote tourism. Lovina is spread out but getting around is relatively easy:
- There are bemos that cover the main roads and can take people into Singaraja city.
- One of the nicest ways to travel around Lovina is by bicycle. It is possible to rent these from hotels and guest houses in the area.
- Another good option for easy transportation around the area is to hire a motorbike.
- Lovina is a pleasant area for walking, and this is a good option for destinations that are nearby.
Highlights of Lovina
The highlights of Lovina would have to include:
- Exploring the black sand beaches – the nicest beach can be found in Kalibukbuk.
- Travel out to sea and spend some time dolphin watching.
- There are some good nightlife options in Central Lovina (Kalibukbuk).
Where to Go in Lovina
The top places to go in the local area include:
- Nearby Banjar hot springs are well worth a visit – but not on Sundays when this place gets really busy. The hot springs are located about 10 km to the west of Lovina.
- Most people who stay in Lovina will end up visiting the nearby city of Singaraja. This is just 9 miles away and offers some good shopping and tourist attractions – the city harbor can be a nice place to visit.
- Git Git is arguably the best waterfall in the whole of Bali – it is 40 metres high and is spring fed. It only takes around 30 minutes to reach Git Git by car or motorbike – it is approximately 10 km to the south of Singaraja city.
- Brahmavihara Arama is a beautiful Buddhist temple that is located south west of Lovina. This is a working temple, and not meant as a tourist attraction, but visitors are welcome so long as they are respectful.
Things to do in Lovina
Things to do in Lovina include:
- There are agents everywhere in Lovina offering dolphin tours. This can be a great trip, but it is a good idea to compare prices before handing over any money.
- There are a few cooking schools in Lovina where visitors can learn how to make some local cuisine. One option for this would be Mumbul Lovina Guesthouse where they not only teach students how to cook but also bring them on a trip to an Indonesian market to buy the ingredients.
- There are a number of local companies offering scuba diving – there is a reef nearby that is home to some interesting marine life. It is possible to go diving directly from the beach or from a boat.
- There is also some good snorkeling in the waters surrounding Lovina. The local scuba diving shops will usually also offer snorkeling tours as well.
- There are meditation retreats at Bramavihara Arama Temple.
- Those who feel in need of some pampering might want to visit one of the local spas – there are several of them in Lovina.
Nightlife in Lovina
The nightlife in Lovina is not as intense as places like Kuta, but there are some good options such as:
- Cafe Spice is located near to the beach at Kaliasem, and it is a popular hangout for tourists and expats to congregate. They offer live music here most nights of the week, and the food is also said to be good.
- Jax Bar is located on the main road in central Lovina. They have live music and karaoke every night of the week, and they also have a good selection of western food as well as Chinese dishes.
- ZiGiZ Bar can be found near the dolphin statue in Central Lovina. The bar offers both indoor and outdoor seating, and they have acoustic music every night of the week.
- Barakuda Restaurant specializes in Balinese seafood dishes and it also offers a nice cocktail selection. It is located on Jalan Mawar in Kalibukbuk.
- Sea Breeze Restaurant is located right on the beach in Central Lovina. The best time to come here is around sunset – they also show live sports here as well.
- Those visitors who wish to try some cheap Indonesian food should go to Warung Bamboo in Pemaron. They also offer cooking lessons here if people want to be able to continue enjoying these dishes once they get home.
- Damai Restaurant is located in Jamal Damai Kayuputih, and it is a resort as well as an award winning restaurant. They offer local and western food along with an impressive vegetarian menu.